Understand Your Debt
Both Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Chapter 13 bankruptcy prohibit the discharge of the following debts. Please note that this list is not comprehensive.
- Child support, alimony and other debts of this nature of support
- Debts for personal injury or death caused by driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
- Student loans, although these may be dismissed if you can prove it would be an undue hardship for you to repay (See Student Loans)
- Any fines or penalties for violating the law. This includes traffic tickets and criminal restitution
- Any debts you could not discharge in a previous bankruptcy filing that was dismissed due to fraud